Website HengRui USA
HengRui USA is the US hub for our parent company Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine (600276 SHA), a global pharmaceutical company with around $90 Billion market value, $3.6 Billion annual revenue (data by 2019) and over 30,000 employees globally. The product line includes antineoplastic drugs, angiomyocardiac drugs, surgical drugs, contrast agents and antibiotics. The pipeline across different therapeutic areas such as oncology, autoimmune, pain management, metabolics etc.
In HengRui USA, we recognize, appreciate, and reward our team’s contributions; we emphasize our people’s well-being. We want you to feel empowered to do your best work, in a place where you are respected, engaged, fulfilled, and developing!
Director of Business Operations/Chief-of-Staff, Division II
Location: Princeton, NJ
Reports to (Title): Head of development, Division 2
Department: Business Operations
Reporting to the Head of Development Division II, the Director of Business Operations (DBO) / Chief-of-Staff, Division II, is a key member of the Division II Development Leadership Team (DLT), and is responsible to drive influence on general operation, implementation and execution of development activities. The DBO has a key role in leading the strategic and operational excellence across medical, clinical and regulatory functions within HengRui USA Division II, thereby influencing the strategic direction and informing decision making of the division.
The Director of Business Operations (DBO) / Chief-of-Staff, Division II, is responsible for providing information to the Head of Development Division II and the DLT which informs decision-making to enhance operational effectiveness across division. This includes the following types of activities, but is not limited to:
- Drives long-term and day-to-day business and operational support to enhance organizational efficiency with key partners and stakeholders
- Develops operational practices to establish the organization as the leader in the development of therapies
- Leads benchmarking of R&D, medical and regulatory activities, best practices and performance with key competitors, thereby aiding in the definition of appropriate performance metrics and goals for DLT
- Establishes competitor intelligence and trend analysis related to key development activities and programs, including opportunities for operating effectively in new geographies and alliances/ licensing partners?)
- Provides an assessment of risks and opportunities with business metrics appropriate for new division and business model in partnership with other divisions and business functions
- Delivers coordination of new business strategies across functional lines (e.g. information technology, social networking)
- Support for crossline and division interactions, including coordination of DLT meetings
- Support to Head of Development Division II and DLT members for internal and external communications related to division strategy
Leads activities that particularly focus on those aspects of operations relevant to all division line functions, and provide the overarching strategy to those areas that may have individual line adaptation and implementation:
- Assessing and sharing tools across functional lines
- Working with Head of Clinical Operations, Head of Medical Affairs Operations, Legal, procurement, COE and others to define and implement best practices with regard to KOL engagement, CRO and vendor management, including contract design, negotiations, preferred partnerships, and coordination across business units. Look for opportunities for creativity in business models.
- Coordination of Aggregate Spend activities
- Coordination of contractor usage across R&D
Supports a culture of ownership/accountability, creativity and challenges accepted paradigms in order to support the establishment of a high-performance organization. Recognizes and demonstrates an ability to address the unique needs of drug development.
Provides support of the management of operational and functional budgets for Division II.
Work effectively across the organization (e.g. with divisions, other functional lines, Procurement, IT, Quality, Compliance, Finance, HR, other business functions) in developing organizational options. Effectively leverage external resources and consultants to inform thinking.
Supports a culture that values colleague engagement and development, and be approachable by colleagues across the organization. Be flexible and creative in problem solving, and be open to the ideas of others. Effectively engage key internal and external stakeholders with the aim of meeting division’s changing needs, and ensure the organization works effectively within the greater organizational model.
Serve as a member of the Division II Development Leadership Team (DLT) to influence the operations and future strategy, which has responsibility for strategic planning and oversight of the Division II’s portfolio of development programs.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- MBA or MA in relevant field with related training preferable
- 7-10 years experience in the biotech, pharmaceutical or related industry.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Clear leadership skills, and ability to inspire colleagues
- General management skills (e.g. budget management, performance management)
- Excellent communication skills
- Experienced in people management
- Influences without authority, in a matrix environment
- Strategic thinking and awareness of business issues relevant to the pharmaceutical industry
- Crisp decision-making following appropriate consultation, even in times of ambiguity
- A creative and forward-looking thinker
- Recognizes the business impact of operational excellence
- Familiarity with key software (e.g. excel, PowerPoint)
Complexity and Problem Solving:
Recommendations to DLT and Head of Development have significant impact on the achievement of division goals and may potentially impact Company goals. Decisions and recommendations have the complexity of impacting across multiple lines within division as well as impacting multiple internal and external stakeholders. As a member of the DLT, participates in decision-making relevant to the future of the division. Must be comfortable making priorities and recommendations in areas where there is ambiguity.
Internal and External Contacts:
Reports directly to Head of Development Division II. Works with members of the DLT to define and implement strategies, and with leaders across HengRui to shape the portfolio and best practices. Interacts across all functions and at the most senior levels of the organization. Interfaces with key external stakeholders and needs to be able to form partnerships that influence the strategic needs of the organization.
Other Job Requirements:
Domestic and international travel required with occasional travel to China. Must be able to travel globally to interface with internal and external stakeholders as necessary. Must be sensitive to cultural differences.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability